<$BlogRSDURL$>

Saturday, September 13, 2008

When mundane becomes marvelous

Millions of people do it daily. I've never done it; not even considered doing it, and then I actually went out and did what for most people is a completely mundane experience.

If you would have told me up to a few days ago that I would go for a run in the park with a dog, I would have laughed in your face. I don't "run" and I don't even own a dog, yet there I was with two dogs.

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
Actual Dogs Used

Yesterday's boot camp was entitled "Run in the Park with Dogs." That's how. However, I was the only one who showed up (sans dogs). But, another woman RSVPed "Yes". Me meet at Teya the organizer's house, but she can't attend due to band practice, and she loads me up with her dogs. The other woman doesn't show, so it's me and the dogs. That's it, just me and the dogs. I was tempted to bail because I'm not a dog n run n park guy, but there they are leashed together. So I suck it up and go.

We ran about 5 miles around the park. I'm proud of myself because I hate running, but the dogs made the time go by. The most amusing thing (aside from the image of me, dogs and park) was when we came to a tree and one dog went left, the other dog went right and they bonked heads.

Overall I marvel at the whole experience because as mundane as it is for nearly everybody else, it's nothing I've done before, or even considered I'd do. And, as silly as it sounds running in the park w/ dogs is me actually extending my boundaries. And when you do something new for the first time, it's just that: New, and somehow the act putting all the pieces of "regular" together, can turn the mundane into the marvelous.

Comments:
Today, I held a tarantula. I hate spiders, and have been known to freak out even just seeing a tiny one. But, S was there, and I don't want to pass along my spider phobia to her, so, with S on my lap, I let a tarantula crawl on my hand without screaming, passing out, or running away. A few dozen more tarantula experiences, and maybe I will be over my phobia for good.

There is something to be said for stepping out of your comfort zone.
 
You've one upped me there, though i can walk next door and have that privilege if I so desire.
 
Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



Links to this post:

Create a Link



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?