<$BlogRSDURL$>

Monday, August 25, 2008

When Death Rides Shotgun


Originally uploaded by WurzelStock™

From time to time I remember that one day I'm going to die. In one of his books, Carlos Castaneda talks about letting Death be a passenger on your left shoulder as a reminder that Death is your constant companion.
And that you want to live as if this were the last day of your life, because you never know. It just might be.

I've always liked that phrase, because it's good in spirit but awful in practice. The image that always comes to me is one of saying "Fuck You" to The Man, "I'm going to play today!" And if every day may be the last day of your life, then everyday you are going to run off and join the Lotus Eaters. How will you get anything done like earning an income or even washing your filthy clothes?

So of course this little image completely resonates with me. The funny part is, as an adult, I CAN have ice cream for breakfast. Now I just have to figure out what to do with the other last days of my life.

Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



Links to this post:



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?