<$BlogRSDURL$>

Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Big Fucking Post No. 1:

Lots of things have been percolating around my head for the past week or so, but I've been sloughing off my blogging duties. So now I'm going to dump it all out with the Big Fucking Post®

Media Rodeo:
I've consumed a crapload of Media lately and it's time to give my thoughts about how it tasted. Luckily for me, most of it was pretty tasty.

Production Note: How odd it is to listen to Rage Against the Machine at the office and not get up and start smashing stuff.

Books:

Making Money: Terry Pratchett.

A continuation of the much beloved Discworld Series. Not as great as the previous two books, but a fine book nonetheless. Like a visit from an old friend who hints at fantastic things for the future. It felt like a re-read even though it was my first time through it. A good use of time. B

The Boy Detective Fails: Joe Meno

What happens when an "Encyclopedia Brown" boy detective grows up and goes insane for 10 years? This book is bitter-sweet in theme and emotion, but reads like pure poetry. I think of this books as a delicate, china crystal, but with secret codes. Highly recommended. A+

No Touch Monkey!: And Other Travel Lessons Learned Too Late: Ayun Halliday

Yes, it was the title of this book that inspired the title of this site. Alessandra gifted it to me for my birthday. I'm currently using this book as a bathroom book. It's ok, and kind of amusing, but nothing I want to devote more brain cells too. I think the author is a little too knowingly hipster ironic, and as a result I want to smack her. Still though, it is well written. C+

The Real Animal House: The Awesomely Depraved Saga of the Fraternity That Inspired the Movie: Chris Miller

Do you like stories about beer, puking, beer, masturbation, beer, Negro Rock n Roll, beer, puking and sex? Apparently I do. I think one of the best parts of this book is the obvious affection Miller has for his friends, and how he talks about "where they are now." Very nice ending to an outrageous book. B-

The Perry Bible Fellowship: The Trial of Colonel Sweeto and Other Stories: Nicholas Gurewitch

You know, some cartoonists are hit and miss, but I swear these PBF comics make me laugh about 98% of time. That's a pretty damn high laugh factor. Therefore A

Television
The Daily Show/Colbert Report (w/o writers).
You know, for a show that has no writers, both of them seem very polished, as if they were somehow being written. I don't know what to make of it. They make me laugh, but it doesn't feel right because I support WGA and I want them working again.
No Rating

Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles we watched the the first episode. It was ok, and I'll give it a chance but I have a huge problem with pacing and inconsistent television physics: If you're gonna hit terminators with cars, you are going to do a lot more damage to your car that currently shown...etc. Negative points for 2007 terminator head doing an Iron Giant with it's 1999 body parts, but Huge Positive for resulting human meat suit replacement. I love looking at the female leads.
C-

Flight of the Conchords
A Joy to watch. I just wish they'd get another gig. A

Movies

Production Note: I just learned that Alessandra and I have been exposed to Walking Pneumonia a week ago (with a possible 3 week gestation period), from playing with her nephew on his birthday. That kid was all over me, drooling and coughing. Son of a Bitch. Little Plague Factory!

I Am Legend. Christ this movie sucked. Sure WIll Smith did well, but playing Deus ex machina at the end. Shit man, if the last 10 minutes of the film is God's Will, then why the fuck did God kill off 99% of humanity? It's lazy, lazy Hollywood shit like this that makes me want to bite off my fucking tongue and start smashing things. F for story, B for Will Smith.

Stardust Neither Good nor Bad. I like Neil Gaiman's novels, so I suspect a lot of information that was integral to the story was lopped out. So I'm going to read the book instead. C

Photos

Mini Jayne

Alessandra made a couple of tiny Jayne hats to hang on our rearview mirrors. Here is Lola wearing one.

A caricature of Me

Because I love hanging out with my wife, I tag along when she goes to her knittitng group. There I just hang out and draw. Well one of the partners of a woman in her group has her Masters in Fine Arts and had worked as a characaturist in the past, so she knocked one out of me.

...more to come.

Labels:


Comments:
yeah i was disappointed with Legend a bit myself. Characters looked borrowed from Lord of the rings. And I liked the original movie. Will is fine though. I just read stardust and it was an okay read, good escape for a while. Will have to look into some of your recommendations. And sorry about the damn kid all over you, germ farms that they are. All should be in bubbles until they move out.
 
I'm a big fan of the Skinner Box myself.
 
We watched T:TSCC and thought it rather sucked. John is a big crybaby considering he survived T2, whining at his mom to fix the future so he can stop running and some shit about "messiah"? Who ever said he would be a messiah rather than a soldier who trains others? And Summer Glau, while nice to look at, I don't know...the wide-eyed Christina Ricci thing taken a bit too far. The second ep was a little better but the writing and dialog still fairly sucks.

Bsti @work
 
Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



Links to this post:

Create a Link



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?