<$BlogRSDURL$>

Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Big Fucking Post 2

As told in spans of 30 second mind cycles as the project I'm working on downloads again, and again.

I'm doing an odd thing for work, making custom brochures but instead of building them in a layout app, I am building them in HTML for database generated custom pdfs?

It plays hell with design, so we are putting out a mediocre product that looks like it was slapped together in Word.

Anyway, every time I have to fix something in the layout, there is a 10 step process of button pushing, window switching, copying and pasting, followed by a 2 minute break. So here is the Big Fucking Post 2

Pinky Kicks Off
Apparently 3 weeks of not eating will kill your Betta. I'm not sure what disease he had. I tried all of them, but I think it may have been in the wrong order. It was a sad night, and I buried him out in the back yard with the African Clawed Frogs that died 5 years ago.

After reading the Discovery Magazine article about the intelligence of OctopI began to fantasize what it would be like to keep one.

I thought, with their intelligence perhaps we could put one in a mobile stroller tank and walk around the block like we do with our cat Lola. I went a little further and thought how cool it would be to let it learn how to operate some sort of self guided Octobot Robotic Cart...I think I'd love to work on drawing one out.

So on a whim I went to the Tubes to see about what it takes to keep an octopus.

Apparently, it's a big fucking hassle: Ceph Care Equipment List

Cephalopod Care Checklist

I would compare it to 1 octopus = 3 cats in terms of money, time and attention. I have one diabetic cat that's hassle enough. As I have to chase her down, take her blood sample and shoot her up before I even get my morning coffee. I can't imagine checking water chemical levels etc all the time, make sure its not escaping etc.

Plus, after all that work, they only live a short while. You no sooner get attached and bam! It's dead. Ale was upset when Pinky died, I can't imagine what happens when Ockty kicks it.

Forget taking Ockty for a stroll. As shy, reticent creatures, Ockty would die from fright! So no rolling death tanks for it.

Still though, it would be cool, but it would probably turn out like the time we snake sat for a friend of ours and totally fucked it up by teaching the snake there was such a thing as "outside," and he spent the rest of his waking time trying to escape (which he didn't do before). Then we fed him a live rat which scratched the shit out of him, that we had to tend to with peroxide to avoid infection, resulting in him writhing around in pain. It was a disaster, as would be keeping an octopus.

The Long Dark Thing That I Thought in the Night
That I had no local friends in meatspace, and no one who wasn't a professional, to confide my secret fears and talk to. That I am ghost moving through a world of shadows. To be someone, you need to be a part of, and I have no part, no identity. Perhaps I am suffering from Anomie. I push my family away in order to maintain the Status Quo of my childhood and adolescence and to power a Persecution Complex.

Hmmm. That about sums up what's been floating around my head.

Labels: , ,


Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



Links to this post:

Create a Link



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?