<$BlogRSDURL$>

Friday, December 07, 2007

Sweeney Todd

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

I saw the movie last night, and while unfamiliar with the play, as a movie I found it flawless. I am not a Burton apologist, there are films of his I don't like, and I am a nit picker. I did indeed think this movie was without flaw.

The transitions between dialog and song were seamless, and I was able to forget that I was watching a movie and a musical.

As I was writing this, I thought about this difference between movie and plays. The actors have to go completely over the top in order to sell the character from the stage. In the movie, and this movie in particular, I think the acting is more nuanced.

That said, it's still Johnny Depp, Helena Bonham Carter and Alan Rickman. You never forget that, but at the same time, I think Depp has the singing chops to pull it off.

I did think, when the lights came up, that this would really fit the definition of Shakespearian Tragedy.

That all said, I think after the last scene fades to black...they need to show a picture of a frolicking kitten as a transition device to bring us back to the real world.

Still though, I'm going to have a Stromboli for lunch today because it's the closest think I can come to a meat pie.

Comments:
I didn't even realize this was a movie. The play is on in Toronto right now so all I've seen are the ads for that. And they don't show it off very well. Actually it looks like it might be really stupid. But I'm not really one for musicals anyhow. I'll take your word for it though and give the flick a go.
 
Do you like spurting neck slashes? There's plenty of those.
 
I can't wait to see the film, although I've always imagined Todd as much older than Depp appears to be in the film. I saw a stage production a few years ago and just loved it.
 
Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



Links to this post:

Create a Link



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?