<$BlogRSDURL$>

Sunday, January 08, 2006

about hipsters and stuff

I was out with my friend Rich last night at "new hipster hangout" where his friend was DJing. Neither Rich nor myself are Hipsters, but I'd be a liar to say that I didn't dig hipster chicks. Something about their tough facades, tattoos and Bettie Page-ness just appeals to me to.

I wouldn't say they weren't pretentious because it takes a lot of work to cultivate the wardrobe and the attitude. I am sure that they don't read Hipster Magazine in order to learn what's cool in this town.

But I'll bet they do watch Rollergirls on A&E. I do because let's face it, I love the sass. I met a friend's sister over Thanksgiving who is going to be rolling on the Denver team, and knowing that turned this woman who I thought was good looking into a "smoking hottie" in my mind. Why? Because that meant she might be crazy and the Cap'n has a soft spot for those who would bring him pain. Heh. Find the addict.

My Tv-B-Gone has got up and went the last few days I've had great opportunity to use the device. Once on a Bowl game day at a sports bar and last night at the hipster bar, but apparently I've already used up the battery (rated for 1 year) in the 2 months that I've had it. I was so frustrated at the sports bar because I was trying to do it as touchdowns were being run and the crowd was going wild, but nope! So I'll just replace the battery and be back in business.

Cap'n Marrrrk's Media Roundup

Recent books I read and their reviews:

Johnathan Strange and Mr. Norrell Time Magazine's #1 book of 2005. 800 pages about 19th century English Magic and social commentary. It started out mildly engrossing but took too long to go anywhere. So I stopped after 400 or so pages.

The Pirates in an Adventure with Ahab 115 pages or so. I read it in an afternoon. Very enjoyable and LOL funny.

Blink!: The Power of Thinking without Thinking. I liked it, found it intriguing because it was about the inner workings of the brain and our ability to quickly process information and make snap judgments. While a fairly short book, I thought the material would have been served better as a longish magazine article because half the book was a "Gosh Wow!" rehash of earlier information.

Cat's Cradle 1963 Kurt Vonnegut. I'm reading it now having never read it before. Can you really go wrong with Kurt? last month Ale and I watched Slaughterhouse 5 from 197x. I was afraid she wouldn't understand it, or like it, but she did indeed get it and enjoy it. I was surprised at how faithful the movie was to the book. I don't think that movie could be made today because the producers would feel the need to talk down to the audience and change elements to simplify.

on deck:

Everything You Know About Sex is Wrong by Russ Kick and Disinfo. I hate to admit it, but they are probably right. Apparently there is much more going on than "Insert Tab A into Slot B". Heh.

The Culture of Fear: Why Americans Are Afraid of the Wrong Thingsby Barry Glassner

The Lucifer Principle: A Scientific Expedition into the Forces of History by Howard K. Bloom

Movies

King Kong Nice to look at...the rest...meh.

Memoirs of a Geshia Marrrrk-"What's going on?", First Mate-"I liked it." Rich the Japanophile ExPatriot who lives in Japan-"I thought it was very good even though the acting was wooden and the story that doesn't do justice to the book. Plus the women were freakin' hot!"

The Tube

Arrested Development Brilliant! Fox, please don't cancel the show. Very cool how some of the story within the show is a plea to the audience to save the show.

Rollergirls only one episode has shown but I love it...see above.

Battlestar Galactica After a 3 month hiatus it's back for the second part of the season. If you haven't been watching, go out and rent the DVDs. It's one of the best shows on tv.

Lost and Veronica Mars hurry up and come back from your holiday break. I'm seriously jonesing.

The Simpsons Who?

Futurama Fox is in talks to renew the show a la Family Guy. W00T! I just refuse to watch the Jurassic Bark episode b/c I don't want to cry.

That's pretty much what has been up lately. I notice I've been remiss in posting personal stuff here. Work is OK, Guitar is coming along although I am still looking for someone to jam with. I got a Bonsai plant for Giftmas that I am on my way to killing. Alessandra just found a uncashed check written to me from 9-02 for a 187.00 for freelance work and I wonder if I can cash it. Blah blah blah. Yak Yak Yak. Life is moving along at life speed.

Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



Links to this post:

Create a Link



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?